Class 1 Fire Engines
Washington Township Fire - Rescue maintains two Custom Class 1 Fire Engines. These were built right here in the State of Ohio by the Sutphen Corporation. These units carry multiple specialty tools designed for the fire service. Some of the equipment carried are Rescue Tools (Jaws of Life), High and Low angle Rope Rescue Equipment, Ice Rescue and Swift Water Rescue Equipment. We also carry Thermal Image technology that every firefighter carries, during rescue, and suppression operations. This individual technology was purchased this year to assure every firefighter has the tools to conduct a rescue or self rescue in the event of an entrapment.
We have two units in our fleet that have Brush Fire Capabilities. Ford F-250 with a 250 Gallon Skid Unit with Pump. This unit carries a variety of tools to fight brush fires. We also have a John Deere Gator with a 85 Gallon Skid Unit with Foam Capabilities, this unit can also double as an EMS Response Unit for difficult terrain.
Washington Township Fire - Rescue responds to incident on the Ohio River, we cover approx. 9 miles of the river. This unit is part of the SOSINK region and can be called and be utilized on any part of the Southwest Region for a variety incidents. This unit carries a small float-able pump for small fire operations, but its primary response is for rescue, and EMS requests. The boat will operate with a trained operator and at-least one paramedic and EMT.
Washington Township has a fair amount of Fire Hydrants in its district. With that said there are some areas of the township where we have to haul water into the incident. This unit carries 2,200 Gallons of Water, and has a 750 gpm pump with a quick attack line pre-piped into the pump.
1956 Ford F-750 "The Big Job" American LaFrance
This truck was purchased in 1956 by the Washington Township Trustee and in that same year the Washington Township Volunteer Fire Department was formed with 12 members. Chief David Mirandi was the Fire Chief for our district and paved the way for our future today. This Pumper was in service from 1956 - early 1990's. After the unit was taken out of service it was sent out and completely remoldel to its organial state. This truck can still be seen at our head quarters station.